函館の坂道の最近のブログ記事

東坂

| コメント(0) | トラックバック(0)
執筆 : kiichi

中華会館の横の坂が東坂(あずまざか)です。

 

由来は、もともと2本あった坂のうち「東の坂」と呼ばれていた名残だそうです。

 

東坂

 

函館市設置の標識の内容は以下のとおりです。

 

明治12年(1879年)の大火までは弥生小学校の東半分に浄玄寺(現東本願寺別院)があり、その下に坂が二本あった。西側の坂を「浄玄寺坂」、東側の坂を「東の坂」または「白鳥坂」ともいった。大火後、坂は一本になり上まで通された。いまの「東坂」はその名残りである。

 

AZUMA ZAKA SLOPE ('Azuma' means 'East')
Up until the great fire in 1879, on the eastern half of the present Yayoi Elementary School, used to be located Jogenji Temple (now called 'Annex to Higashi Honganji Temple') with two slopes below the temple. The western-side slope was cal led 'Jogenji Temple Saka Slope' and the eastern-side one was called 'Higashi no Saka Slope' or 'Shiratori Zaka Slope. ' After the fire, these two slopes were combined and extended into a longer one. The present name 'Azuma Zaka Slope' is based on this history. CITY OF HAKODATE

東坂

 

弥生坂

| コメント(0) | トラックバック(0)
執筆 : kiichi

弥生小学校横の坂が弥生坂です。

 

坂の上には、函館聖マリア教会があります。

弥生坂

 

 

函館市設置の標識の内容は次のとおりです。

 

弥生坂

明治12年(1879年)の大火後改良された坂で、それまでは浄玄寺(現東本願寺別院)、称名寺、実行寺が 並び、「寺町の坂」といわれた。「弥生」とは、「春」を意味し、発展を祈念して付けられたといわれている。明治15年(1882年)、坂の横に小学校がで き、坂名に因んで弥生小学校と名付けられた。

 

YAYOI ZAKA SLOPE
This slope was remodeled after the big fire in 1879. Up until the fire, it had been called 'Teramachi no Saka' ('Tera' means 'Temples'), because Jogenji Temple (now called 'Annex to Higashi Honganji Temple'), Shomyoji Temple and Jitsugyoji Temple were located on this slope. 'Yayoi'means 'Spring', therefore people named the slope 'Yayoi Zaka Slope, ' wishing for further development. In 1882, an elementary school was founded beside the slope and was named 'Yayoi Elementary School' after the slope. CITY OF HAKODATE

 

 

弥生坂

常盤坂

| コメント(0) | トラックバック(0)
執筆 : kiichi 

大石忠次郎の屋敷に植えられた松の木が坂の名の由来となったそうです。

 

常盤坂

 

函館市設置の標識の内容は次のとおりです。

 

 

江戸時代後期、この坂の上に大石忠次郎の屋敷があり、そこに奥州の「義経腰掛けの松」と称された名木の種を 植えたという大きな松があったので、常盤の松に因みこの名が付いた。また昔、坂の中ほど一帯に遊廓があって、遊女と別れを惜しんだ客が坂を見返るというこ とから「見返り坂」といわれ、上に芝居小屋があったことから「芝居町の坂」ともいわれた。

 

TOKIWA ZAKA SLOPE
During the latter part of the Edo era, there was a residence of a man named Oishi Chujiro. On the premises, a huge pine tree had been planted whose seeds were taken from an old pine tree of historical interest called 'Yoshitsune Koshikake no Matsu', meaning a pine tree under which Yoshitsune, (a noted Samurai Warrior of the Genji clan in the 12th century) sat. The slope was named after this evergreen tree. This slope was also called 'Mikaeri Zaka' literally meaning 'Looking Over Ones Shoulder Slope', because customers who were reluctant to part from prostitutes would look over their shoulders when they came down to the middle of the slope. It was also called 'Shibaimachi no Saka', ('Shibai' means 'Plays') because there were theaters at the top of the slope. CITY OF HAKODATE

常盤坂

姿見坂

| コメント(0) | トラックバック(0)

執筆 : kiichi

かつて坂の上にあった遊郭。

 

 あでやかな遊女の姿を見られたことが名称の由来となっています。

 

姿見坂

 

函館市設置の標識の内容は次のとおりです。

 

姿見坂(すがたみざか)
かつて、坂の上にあった遊廓に因む名で、遊女達のあで姿が見られたことからこの名がついた。遊廓は江戸の吉原を模し、付近は茶屋町と呼ばれて賑わいを見せたが、明治4年(1871年)の大火で焼失し、蓬莱町(現宝来町)ヘ移った。

 

SUGATAMI ZAKA SLOPE (literally means 'Looking at an Appearance')
This slope was named after the red-light district located at the upper part of the slope, where harlots (prostitutes) in fascinating, showy costumes were often seen on the streets. This area imitated Yoshiwara Yukaku, the licensed quarter In the Edo era. In this area along with the neighborhood called 'Chaya cho' (literally meaning 'Tea Room Town'), the brothels were a thriving business. However, this whole area was burnt down by the great fire in 1871, and as a result the red-light district was moved to Horai cho. CITY OF HAKODATE

 

姿見坂

幸坂

| コメント(0) | トラックバック(0)
執筆 : kiichi 

旧ロシア領事館の前を通り山上大神宮に続く坂が幸坂です。

幸坂

函館市設置の案内版の内容は次のとおりです。

幸坂

昔、坂の中ほどに神社があり、これを神明社(しんめいしゃ)といったので、この坂も「神明坂」と呼ばれた。 神明社は明治7年(1874年)山上(やまのうえ)大神宮と現在名に改め、のち坂の最上部に移転した。明治8年、坂下の海岸が埋め立てられ、幸多かれと寺 町(現弁天町)ができたので、町名に従い「幸坂」となった。

 

SAIWAI ZAKA SLOPE

 

Long ago, there used to be a shrine called 'Shinmeisha' in the middle of the slope. Therefore, this slope had been called 'Shinmei Zaka'. Later, in 1874 the name 'Shinmeisha' was changed into 'Yamanoue Dai Jingu, ' literally meaning 'A Big Shrine on the Top of the Mountain, ' when the shrine was moved to the top of the slope. The next year, in 1875, the seashore at the foot of this slope was reclaimed and was named 'Saiwai cho' wishing 'Happiness for all. ' (It's now called 'Benten cho. ') So, the slope was renamed 'Saiwai zaka. ' CITY OF HAKODATE

千歳坂

| コメント(0) | トラックバック(0)
執筆 : kiichi 

 東本願寺函館別院に続く坂が千歳坂です。

 

 

函館市設置の標識内容は次のとおりです。

 

明治12年(1879年)の大火以後にできた坂で、昔、坂の東側に神社があり、ここに松の木があったので、千歳の松に因んでこの名が付いた。「松蔭坂」とも呼んだ。それ以前は、東脇に短い坂があって「神楽坂」と呼んでいた。これは神社の神楽殿に由来したものであった。

 

CHITOSE ZAKA SLOPE
This slope was built after the great fire in 1879. A long time ago, a shrine was located on the eastern part of this slope and in its precincts, there stood a great pine tree named 'Chitose. ' Therefore, the slope was named after this pine tree. Another name for this slope was 'Matsukage Zaka', literally meaning 'The Slope with the Shade of a Pine Tree. ' Before it was called Matsukage Zaka, this slope had been called 'Kagura Zaka' associated with the Kagura Den (Shinto music dance) in the shrine. CITY OF HAKODATE

 

船見坂

| コメント(0) | トラックバック(0)
執筆 : kiichi 

船見坂は、魚見坂の隣に位置しており、西小学校・西中学校につながっています。

坂の途中にある「大正湯」は、映画「パコダテ人」の舞台として登場しています。 

  船見坂

 

 

 函館市設置の標識の内容は次のとおりです。

 

 

港に出入りする船舶がよく見えることから,明治6年(1873年)坂上を船見町と名付け,その町に通じる坂なので「船見坂」と呼んだ。 また,称名寺の下の坂なので「称名寺坂」とも呼ばれた。戦後,上が校地となり坂は途中までとなった。

 

The upper part of the slope was named 'Funami cho' in 1873, because from here one can gain a clear view of all ship movement in the bay. The slope leading to 'Funami cho' was named 'Funami Zaka'. This slope was also called 'Shomyoji Temple Zaka', because it is situated at the foot of Shomyoji Temple. After World War u, an elementary school was built at the upper part of the slope and consequently the length of slope was reduced. CITY OF HAKODATE

 

函館市設置の標識

魚見坂

| コメント(0) | トラックバック(0)
執筆 : kiichi

市電停留場「函館どつく前」から高龍寺へと続く坂が魚見坂(うおみざか)です。魚の群れを発見するのに好都合だったことが坂の名前の由来と言われています。

 

魚見坂という名前は、元々は現在のバス通りの曲がり角付近に付けられた名前で、現在のように高龍寺まで直線でつながっていたわけではありませんでした。

 

坂の上には台町遊郭があり大変な賑わいだったそうですが、遊郭は明治12年の大火にて、台町と鰪澗町をふさぐかたちで焼け残ってしまい、行き来するのに不便な状態となってしまいました。

 

後に道路突抜の工事が行われ、明治18年2月21日にはとても盛大な開道式が開催されたそうです。

魚見坂at小学校の横

函館市で設置している標識の内容は、次のとおりです。

 


函館で一番西にある坂で、坂の上から湾岸に押し寄せてくる魚群の発見に便利なところだったのでこの名が付いたといわれている。この坂の上の方は昭和40年まで台町という町名だったので、最近まで「台町の坂」とも呼ばれていた。

This slope is located in the westernmost part of Hakodate. The name originates from the fact that this slope is the best location to observe fish movement coming toward the shore. Since the upper part of the slope had been called 'Daimachi, ' another name for this slope was 'Daimachi Slope. '

 

函館市設置の標識

 

(参考)

 市史余話90 魚見坂開道式のにぎわい たくさんの人々を集めて盛大に

 

前の10件 | 1  2